Al's Photography Blog

Al's Photography Blog
Pikes Peak As Seen From Our House

Monday, November 4, 2013

Mission San Fernando Wine Cellar

It may seem like a strange thing to find in a church's convento, but the one at the San Fernando Mission has a wine cellar that was recently opened to the public. It was used to produce wine for  mass, and it was also sold.
These were very challenging photos to get as it was very dim and I didn't want to use flash. They're 3.6 and 1.8 second exposures, all I could do was lean the camera against something. I'm linking this to Our World Tuesday, and to next weekend's Inspired Sunday as this is within a church complex.

15 comments:

  1. You did get some amazing pics considering the lighting! I do love visiting those old missions! Hope you have a wonderful week, Al! Give Socks a pat for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job with the long exposures, considering you didn't have a tripod. I've heard of many monasteries brewing beer or producing wine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Used only for mass and sales (wink wink).

    Nice photos Al! Especially under the conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating post and photos of the wine cellar ~ great shots ~ carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. that mission probably produced good wine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely shots - looks like a nice old cellar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That wine cellar is in pretty good condition.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some of the best wine in the world seems to have been produced by monks. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to live in Southern California. We studied all of the missions in fourth grade. I remember my parents taking me to many of them to visit and see for myself. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Monks are well know for producing excellent wine and beer! I look forward to your offering for the gratitude quilt Al:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. simply beautifully captured shots....lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pictures actually capture the darkness and feel of a wine cellar...and it doesn't surprise me that it is there. Monks and different orders of priests and nuns make brandy and wine often.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent shots Al! I think the lighting is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would like to request permission to use one of your photos in a book I am writing about wine in the Spanish and Mexican Californias. How can I contact you?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment - I love reading them and look forward to viewing your blog. If you only allow Google+ comments I won't be able to leave a comment in return.

Related Posts with Thumbnails